Friday 5 August 2011

Robert Muchamore Book Signing

For those of you who don't know already, I am a massive fan of Robert Muchamore's Cherub book series. Today at Foyles in Charing Cross I was lucky enough to meet him at his London book signing as part of his UK three day tour. I woke up at quarter past seven ready and eager to take the trip to Theatreland to see the author. After travelling on a stuffy tube filled with business men and women for an hour and walking up Charing Cross Road I finally arrived at Foyles, the bookstore. It's embarrassing for me to say, but at first I couldn't see anyone. I walked into the shop expecting to see a huge queue of teens but instead the bookstore was virtually empty. My initial thought was that I had missed it, but that couldn't be right as I had checked three different sources of time and they all said that it was two minutes past ten. My mum and I were circling the shop and I was about to ask a shop assistant where the the signing was, when I heard a woman ask "Are you here for the Robert Muchamore book signing?" Although she wasn't in sight we followed the sound of her voice until we discovered a whole other part of Foyles bookstore where a queue of teens were. Relieved to have finally found the signing, I joined the queue. I was soon approached by a smiley, curly haired woman who explained to me what I needed to do e.g write my name on a post-it-note and stick it in the new book, People's Republic.

While I spoke to the curly haired woman (whose name I never found out) my mum was given the task of picking up a copy of People's Republic. I thought it would be a pretty easy task as I have talked constantly about this signing for weeks. However my mum proved me wrong and returned with a paperback copy of Shadow Wave, the 12th book in the Cherub series! Now my mum isn't stupid, she runs her own business and has an IQ higher than average, but somehow she had managed to miss all the A2 posters with the cover of People's Republic on, the display stall packed with hardback copies of the new book AND the forty plus people each holding a copy of the new book! I gave up trying to explain to her the fact that it is a new book, which means that it is only available in hardback, as I realised that wouldn't mean anything to my mum as she isn't a crazed Cherub fan like me.


The queue moved very quickly and in no time at all we were only a few people away from being at the front. After seeing a very funny poster of Robert in a wig wearing big, pink sunglasses I was reminded that I needed to teach my mum to use the camera on my phone. This sounds pretty hard but unlike most mums, my mum is pretty good with technology . This was the case up until the point when she had to take the picture of Robert and I.  I had spoken with him briefly and he seemed to be a really nice guy, I told him a little bit about my blog and he was happy to sign the extra four books that I had brought along with me from home. He was happy for my mum to take a picture and I gave my mum the phone. She seem pleased with the picture and I left the table picking up a pen, bookmark and badge that they were giving away. When my mum showed me the picture I felt a little disappointed as we weren't even looking at the camera let alone smiling, but I didn't mind as she had made the effort to come all the way into London with me.


Overall the book signing was great and I really enjoyed meeting Robert Muchamore.   I can't wait to start reading his new book and will, of course, be reviewing it here.




No comments:

Post a Comment