Monday 1 October 2012

All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin - Book Review

Hi again everyone! Here is the book review as promised quite short today.
The book I'm reviewing today is called 'All These Things I've Done' and it's written by Gabrielle Zevin. All these things I've done ( ATTID) is set in a future New York where chocolate is illegal. Mobile phones with cameras are illegal and pretty much having any type of fun is illegal. In this world of strict laws and rationing, emerges Anya - heir to an infamous criminal family. Orphaned from a young age, Anya has learnt to take care of her relatives without much thought for her own welfare. When Anya is wrongly accused of poisoning her ex-boyfriend the new District Attorney offers her a tough choice: stay away from his son or watch as he destroys what is left of her family. For Anya this should be a simple decision however she has fallen helplessly in love with the DA son, Win.
Part of the cover of All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin
With an ending that will make you scream, this modern day mash up of Of Mice and Men and Romeo and Juliet will keep you enthralled throughout. Anya is a truly lovable character - it impossible to not be swept up in this love story. The best thing about Anya is that she is realistic, she doesn't dream about snogging Win or what he'll think of her - she focuses on the here and now and what is important. Perhaps this is her survival instinct kicking in but whatever it is it makes her so likable. I loved the book so much that tomorrow I am passing it on to one of my besties to read!
I thought that All These Things I've Done was a gorgeous story - but maybe I'm biased as I love novels set in the future! I'd recommend it to anyone that liked The Hunger Games, Matched or Bumped. Genuinely I think anyone who can survive a mild helping of loved up language will enjoy this book. Recommended for those age 12+. All These Things I've Done is the first in the Birthright trilogy. Her second book in the trilogy Because It Is My Blood is also now available.
To find out more about the book visit http://gabriellezevin.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment